Friday, September 29, 2006

Fabulous Food Friday


HomeMade Macaroni and Cheese

I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while now, however in light of recent blog entries about losing weight you may question my timing. No this is not "diet" food by any stretch of the imagination, however, my kids love it and I would much rather have them eat homemade mac and cheese that the kind you can buy for .25 a box. Here's why...look at the ingredients in the box variety:
ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT (DURUM WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, GRANULAR AND CHEDDAR CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6).

Compare that with homemade ingredients that you have actually heard of:

1-2 cups macaroni* (depending on how many mouths you have to feed)
Boil macaroni in a pot of water for about 7 minutes. Drain.

Cheese Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour*
2 Cups milk
1 clove garlic
1-2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat. Saute garlic. Wisk in flour. Slowly add milk, continue to wisk to avoid clumps, bring to a soft boil, then turn down heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Keep stirring so sauce doesn't curdle. Add 1-2 cups of your favorite cheese. I usually use cheddar, but it is creamier when I combine it with about 4 oz of cream cheese and or American cheese. Stir until all cheese is combined and melted. Add salt and pepper and onion powder (or garlic powder). Place macaroni into saucepan and mix well. Then transfer to a casserole dish. Sometimes I add chopped ham or homemade croutons to the top for extra yumminess. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
* To make this more wholesome, I use whole wheat pasta and whole wheat flour

Since I am on a mac and cheese kick today, I thought it was worth mentioning that if you want the best homemade mac and cheese from a restaurant, go to Gravy on N. Mississippi in North Portland. You will not be disappointed!

2 comments:

redheadedmama said...

What are you thinking!!! That is the last thing I needed to see today...but mmmmm it looks so good and Gravy is the absolute best comfort food in the world!!!

Alyssa said...

Sorry. I actually took the photo on Monday when I made it for our playdate, so it's not in the house to tempt me now...It's a good recipe, just not for mass consumption...especially when limiting carb intake. BTW I had a salad while the kids had mac and cheese.