I described my blog as My adventures in mothering...the good the bad and the ugly. This means you get to hear all the yucky stuff too. Today was one of those days. You know the kind where you think things just can't get worse, but somehow they just do?
It started off perfectly normal. Zander and Haden both woke up feeling fine. We all got ready and out the door for school on time and then I walked Natalie to her class. I looked around at all her classmates and realized I totally blew it. Today was pajama day and I did not dress Natalie in her pajamas. For some reason I had it in my head that pj day was Friday. I immediately felt just awful and then mommy guilt set in, but there was nothing I could do. I had to get Zander to school. So we left and I just hoped it wasn't a big deal.
I went home to work on a surprise for Natalie. I planned on assembling the vanity I got for her before we moved, but when I went to put it all together I realized the screws were all missing. So now I panic, search through all the places where she would have put them, but came up empty handed. Strike 2. Desperate to have something go right, I begin cleaning her room in hopes that the screws would show up. They didn't, so I put the vanity back in her closet and went down to get the stool out of the garage. Fortunately, they are put together the same way, so I grabbed the screws from that box so I could take them with me to Home Depot and get new ones. Ah, at last, progress.
By now, it was time to pick up Natalie from school. When I picked her up the first thing that came from her mouth was not the usual, 'mom, I'm so glad to see you,' rather it was "all the other kids got a red ribbon and I didn't." As it turns out those who wore their pj's to school were rewarded with ribbons. Trying my best to console her, I told her I would give her a nice ribbon when we got home, but she just went on about how neat the ones at school were. She also said a girl teased her about not having one. I felt really, really sad for her, but tried my best to turn it around. I told her I was so sorry, but I don't know if sorry is enough for this kind of thing.
After lunch we all got back in the car to go to Home Depot. She usually doesn't like going there "because it stinks," she says from all the paint. But I reminded her that she could buy something (she loves going to the hardware section and picking out washers and bolts); cheap thrills, right! Anyway, we got what we came for and now it's off the the grocery store.
As we arrive, she tells me her tummy hurts and needs water, so we hit the drinking fountain and then continue on with our shopping. I let the two older kids pick out a treat from the bulk foods. They both chose a strawberry sugar wafer. I continued to fill up my cart and check out of the store, now completely exhausted, I am just happy to be heading home. (As I was checking out I was totally thinking to myself, I should get a medal for taking my 3 small children grocery shopping with me...this is a lot of work!)
Once the kids are buckled in and the groceries in, we are homeward bound. Natalie begins to complain that her tummy hurts and I try to run her through triage while still keeping my eyes on the road ahead. I reassured her we would be home soon, and sure enough we turned onto Bartell Road. We were just seconds from being home where we could all relax...and then she threw up all over herself in the back seat. Oh, did I feel for her. Poor thing. Then I started to feel sorry for myself, because as soon as I got her in the bath I had to go back out and clean it up. Although, if you are going to have to clean up vomit...regurgitated pink strawberry sugar wafers is about the best you are going to get!
Now that she is sick, she will miss school tomorrow which means she will also miss the fall kindergarten program (and I will miss out too!)
I hope your day was better than this. My keen spidy sense tells me it probably was! Thanks for listening.
3 comments:
Oh, Alyssa. Oh, Natalie. I am SO sorry you had such a bad day. Having a tummy ache like that is bad enough - being in the car makes it two times as bad. I hope having such a beautiful sunrise and sunset brought you some joy today.
I have to say that Natalie's liking to pick out hardware things just warms my heart. I think it is lots of fun, too. I'm sure her vanity will be wonderful, too.
Natalie - Forgetting important things happens. I know you felt left out and that makes me sad, too. It is too bad that girl didn't understand. Making someone feel better when they are sad is something for all of us to remember to do. In my heart you have earned a great big red ribbon just for getting through the day. I hope you feel much better soon.
Alyssa - does this mean it has gone completely through the family? Weeks like this feel like they last forever. The next thing you know they are up and running around again and the quiet is gone. Don't forget to use some Fabreeze on the Suburban.
You deserve a big red ribbon, too, Alyssa. One thing I think I escaped was someone getting sick in the car and not being able to contain it although it may just be blocked from my memory. Seems like I kept a plastic bag in there 'just in case.' The trouble is, you can never get to it in time when you are driving.
Much love to you all, Mom
I had a plastic bag in the front seat too, but it didn't make it to her in time.
Let's hope tomorrow is vomit-free!
Mmmm, speaking of throwing up, while I was at the dr.s on Monday in the waiting room there was a little boy about 2 years old and his mom was holding a plastic ziplock bag for him to throw up in... Supprisingly my gag reflex didn't catch on.... Maybe it's something that happens to you when you're pg... since you'll have to deal with a lot of puke as a mother so it's just getting me ready now...
Post a Comment