Part III was appalled when I picked up a box of Weight Watcher's Brownies a few months back. On the front of the box, they were advertised as only one point per brownie. Wow, that sounds great. I flipped over to read the ingredients and the first one was sugar. Now what kind of weight loss program advocates eating sugar? After reading the rest of the ingredients, I could hardly recognize them much less pronounce them. Needless to say, I put the box back on the shelf.
In the last couple years a product called Splenda (aka sucralose) has made its way into the homes of many consumers who think that this is the miracle sugar substitute that will finally allow them to eat sweets without the guilt. You have been duped. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but do your research. Check out these informative web sites: the truth about splenda, whole foods, splenda exposed. This could be the topic of a whole new blog.
Since this blog entry is long enough already, I just want to close by encouraging you to think about what you are really buying and eating. After switching to organic milk, eggs and chicken, Dan and I have really noticed a difference in the taste. Milk tastes like I remembered from my childhood. Eggs are much richer in flavor, and chicken...well, it tastes like chicken! Although organic food may be more expensive, I don't mind paying $1 more for milk if it means my family isn't ingesting hormones and chemicals. In the long run, I will be saving money in doctors visits because my family will be eating real food and not food that makes them sick or prone to disease. Organic food is becoming easier to find. Of course you will find organic food at Natures (aka Wild Oats), but Fred Meyers, Safeway, Albertson's and even Walmart are now carrying a fair amount of organic foods too.
Here is what I am committed to:
Buying food free of hormones. Reading labels and not buying food with hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup. Absolutely nothing containing Splenda, Organic produce (as much as possible) and making food from scratch when I can.
I am not one of those fanatics who will lecture you, I just wanted all of you, whom I care about, to know what I know. I won't judge what you buy, but hopefully you can be a little bit more informed when reading the labels. Here's to healthy families!!!
4 comments:
Ah my friend, your post was the kick in the rear I needed to get back on this gravy train (homemade organic gravy of course!!)That class was a real eye opener a few years ago, and now with a little one in the house, it is even more important. The Splenda has been banned from my house since then, and Stevia has become my new best friend. I put it on everything. IT is a sweetner made from an herb, so it is all natural. You can get it at Freddies, or even way cheaper at Trader Jos next to the vitamins.
Thanks for the encouragment to stay healthy. (did you work out this weekend...not with my in laws in town, and I did not 100% stick to my diet yesterday, but today is right back on track!)Must go, and find my flannel shirt!!! :-)
I didn't do a workout, but I did stay true to my eating plan. Even passed up chocolate chip cookies on two different days. Boy, was that tough! Thankfully, the cookies were all eaten by others and none were left to tempt me.
Thank you healthy guru! I just recently started buying soy milk..due to I am thinking I am going through the change..yippee and my daughters love choc. milk..so I thought..why not try the soy kind. This also got me looking at the organic type of milk too - you brought up some great points - and I must say..I heading down that path with you.
Thanks - wow it's beginning to get chilly out side - time for the flannels..which I happen to like flannels..thank you very much :)
Diane
I don't think you can live in the NW without at leat one fannel. Especially if you like to go camping...Am I right? BTW my dad just told me the other day that you can get organic soy milk at WINCO for 98 cents a carton.
Post a Comment