Friday, November 09, 2007

Polar Bears and Penguins...oh, my!

Last Thursday I took Natalie to see Princesses on Ice, so this week it was Zander's turn to do something fun (and the other kids got to come along too!). I love taking the kids to OMSI and when I heard they were featuring an Arctic exhibit with polar bears and penguins, I knew Zander would love it!
Although there is an element of this photos that freaks me out (note actual stuffed polar bear)...I think Zander's expression is pretty funny!
Natalie compares the different bear skulls, black bear, polar bear and grizzly bear. The polar bear was the biggest by a long shot.

Here the kids got to look through microscopes.

This was a fun game where you try to touch the fish that light up in the water in an effort to "feed" the baby penguin. It was hard to pull them away from this game.

Follow the penguin tracks and walk like a penguin. What you can't see from this picture is Zander flapping his "wings" like penguins do...it was so funny cause I turned around and there on the monitor was a video of the penguins doing just was Zander was.

Zander got to try on a penguin suit...

...and slide down the snowy hill on his belly, just like a penguin.

Zander and Hayden were listening to the different sounds penguins make.

Penguin Paradise!

After lots of fun and discovery at the Arctic exhibit, we ventured up stairs to the kids area for more fun!


Looking at nature through a magnifying glass. Natalie and Zander dressed up like chipmunks and gathered acorns inside an old tree.


Here's Natalie with her new eagle friend.

One of our kids' favorite areas is the sand pit. They have the best sand at OMSI.


The water table is always good for some wet fun. Despite wearing rain boots and smocks the kids always seem to get their clothes wet...oh, well...it's all good "clean" fun! (sorry, I couldn't resist...please refrain from throwing tomatoes!)

2 comments:

Mickle Family said...

What's wrong with that picture of the polar bear behind Zander? That's what I look like when my kids make me angry and I don't want them to see my reaction!!!

Too cute with all the penguin activities! Deb

Alyssa said...

It was a lot of fun, but they were pretty tired on the long drive back home (aka grumpy and hungry!)