Monday, May 14, 2007

The Best Mother's Day so Far!

My Mother's Day really started at the end of last week as the kids were bringing home the gifts they made in school. Natalie and Zander were both excited to show me what they had been working on and wanted me to open their gifts right away. Zander made a colorful vase and flowers (made from egg cartons) and Natalie painted a little flower pot with a heart and flowers all around. Then on Saturday Dan bought me a dozen roses!!! I have never been given a dozen roses before, so I was pretty excited.
Dan had been hinting that we had big plans to celebrate Mother's Day, but everything was top secret. Even the kids were in on it. I was so curious. Then we headed out on Hwy 26 and I thought we could be going to one of 2 places...a restaurant in Sandy or Mt. Hood. As it turns out, our neighbors behind us told Dan all about the Mother's day brunch at Timberline Lodge they go to every year and invited all of us to come along.
It had been about 10 years since we had been up there. For the most part the drive up was cloudy and overcast, but when we got to Timberline, (3000+ feet above sea level), we were above all the clouds and it was actually a nice day!

The buffet was huge and took up most of the area with the fireplace. They set it up really nice with beautiful flowers and vintage dresses on display... then there was all the food. Unbelievable... it was on par with the food you see on cruise ships.

Our neighbors come here a lot. I could tell as everyone seemed to know them, the greeters, the waitresses...even the chef. They all came over to our table to say hello. They were even able to order something that wasn't on the menu...Timber Toast, which is a very fancy version of French toast. Actually, I don't think they really ordered it, when the chef saw them come in, he made up a batch just for all of us because he remembered they always request it. Now that's service! We were all very impressed...and after tasting it, I can see why they always request it...very yummy. (possible future Fabulous Food Friday).
I passed up dessert and went back for a few more bites of my favorites...baked brie, salmon, baked risotto, eggs and fruit.
Zander on the other hand, went for the chocolate fountain where he dipped a big marshmallow and ate it in one big gooey chocolate bite.
After brunch, we all went out side to play in the snow for awhile before heading back down the mountain.

On our way home, we stopped off to see Dan's mom, give her her gifts and wish her a happy Mother's day. We couldn't stay long because we had to hurry back and meet my family back at our house to celebrate my mom's birthday which fell on Mother's day this year. We had a salad/sandwich buffet and dessert later on...but we all got so carried away, we forgot to sing happy birthday. It was a busy day packed full of good memories.

5 comments:

Bob Roush said...

Thanks for giving you Mom the birthday and Mother's Day party, she really enjoyed it and had a great time.

I am sorry that I had to miss it, but no one would have appreciated my being there given how I felt.

Thanks again and it looks like you had a pretty nice Mother's Day yourself!

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow Alyssa! What a nice suprise! I am so glad you felt blessed on Mother's Day! You look so happy!
Those roses are beautiful-good job Dan! :-)
Wasn't that cute what the kids made for us at church? The sugar scrub and bath fizzie! Did you see the picture of me and my kiddos up on the big screen? Jen and Anthony snuck that one in there. Maybe you weren't at church though and have no idea what I am talking about.
:-) That brunch looked amazing! How fun that they put out those vintage dresses too!
Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that I notice you keep your Modge Podge in the kitchen too? lol I noticed in one of your pics that you have modge podge on your counter and I just chuckled b/c mine is on my kitchen counter too.
Hey, I forgot to ask but what site do you order your photo books from? Snapfish?

Alyssa said...

I didn't go to church last Sunday because we had to leave at 10 am to get up the mountain. Sounds like you got treated to a cool gift though.

Right now my scrapbooking stuff has pretty much taken over the house, so I am not surprised that the modge podge is on the kitchen counter. I have 30+ scrapbook pages to complete for Zander's preschool by Thursday...agghhh. It's fun, but it does take up a lot of space...and my Disneyland pages are still all over the dining room.

I ordered my photo book from iphoto. We have Mac computers at our house and it is just part of the bundle that comes with the computer. I download all my photos into iphoto anyway, so when I want to make a book, I just drag and drop them into the pages of the ibook. I know snapfish, shutterfly and Kodak all do photo books as well and they are so easy.

redheadedmama said...

I love timeberline, what a great idea! Your mothers day sure beats mine....throwing up on the couch and the kids at Grandmas because I was too sick to take care of them. I think we will celebrate on a different day. :-) YOur a great mom, and your kids are so lucky to have you.