Monday, January 15, 2007

Here's what I've been up to lately...

Natalie's Science Fair Projcet on Static Electricity:

When I first heard about the Science Fair at Natalie's school, I was a little bit apprehensive. As a student, I never participated in one nor had I ever been to one. I don't even think our school had one. I had no idea what a science fair project was supposed to look like or how I was to go about finding an experiment that a kindergartner would be interested in.

Then one day as I was combing Natalie's hair before school, I noticed that she had an unusual amount of static. Her hair was flying around like nobody's business. Then I said to Natalie "hey, we should do your science fair project on static electricity." She thought that was a great idea and even when I asked her about other possible ideas, she said she wanted to do the static one.

Now as a kindergartner she was pretty much just along for the ride, so to speak. I wanted her to participate as much as possible, so it was my job to pretty much figure this all out. After school we conducted our own little experiment and I documented everything with my handy camera. Natalie drew a picture of a girl with static fly-away hair, I typed up the required components of the "scientific method" and the rest is history. We will take it to school tomorrow and on Thursday night we will attend the Science Fair and see what all the other kids came up with.

So, what have you been up to lately?

1 comment:

Bob Roush said...

I know the schools had science fairs, but when they started I am not sure. I remember when I was on the school board going to them, but that was long after you were in elementary school.

They even had science fairs when I was in school, I think I might even have a few of the trophies that I won.

I even got to teach science to the younger students when I was in fifth or sixth grade.

I have always been interested in science, my Mother always use to tell me that my second grade teacher learned some things from me, it was just something that I had observed about how fir cones worked.

Encourage the children as much as possible to observe, and inquire as much as possible.