Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day of First Grade!


Today started off early for me. I had first day jitters and woke up at 5 am. I didn't actually get up until 5:45. Natalie woke up around 6:30 ready to go! Last year I had to drag her out of bed at 7 am and she was still so sleepy. Not today...she couldn't wait to put on her new school clothes and go to school. Here is her favorite back to school outfit. It has and attached belt that I don't care for, but Natalie really wanted to wear it...She did let me take a few pictures without it though! It's hard to tell from this picture, but there are little brown horses all over the shirt.

This is her first year having lunch every day, so we got her a special princess lunch box. I remember my school lunch boxes. I had a blue Holly Hobbie one and then I upgraded to Strawberry Shortcake.


When we arrived in her class, she put her things in her cubbie and got settled at her desk where there was a coloring project waiting for her. Meanwhile I am taking pictures to distract me from realizing that my little baby girl is becoming more and more independent each day. A few of the other moms and I lingered around the door watching our kids as their first day was under way. We were all feeling a little sentimental, but I'm sure the teacher is used to parents doing this on the first day!!!

Today also marks Natalie's first bus ride home. At the first grade orientation, I asked her if she wanted to ride the bus or have me pick her up on the first day. Without hesitation, she yells out "ride the bus!" I was surprised and a little sad, but also proud of her for not being afraid. This is going to be a big year. She will learn how to read, spell, tell time, count money...etc. I'm so very thankful she has the opportunity to go to such a great school.

7 comments:

redheadedmama said...

She is sooooo adorable, it brought tears to my eyes!

I still remember when Dan came knocking on our door at 11:00 at night to tell us you were going to the hospital in labor, but not until you were done curling your hair!!

Here we are so many years later. She is such a great girl and we wish her all the best!

(you just pulled up I better run!!)

Bob Roush said...

Natalie reminds me of another little girl when she left for school all day only I think that I wound up picking her up just before I would leave for work.

I remember those lunch boxes too, in fact I think we just got rid of one of them a while back. Enjoy the moments they tend to go by so quickly and before you know it, your little girl will be doing the same thing with her little girl!

Give Natalie a hug for me and tell her I think she looks like a big girl.

Sue Albert said...

I laughed about curling your hair on the way to the hospital. I did the same thing when I was in labor with Timmy (I think I also shaved my legs)! I knew better the second and third time!

Congratulations to Natalie. She looks very happy in all the pics.

Alyssa said...

Sue

That's funny! I was thinking I didn't want ugly labor photos...Well, as you can guess, it didn't matter, I looked dreadful after giving birth!!!

Anonymous said...

Woah Girl-that's early! :-)
Natalie looks so cute and ready to take on the first grade! That's neat that her best buds are in her class this year!
I am trying to remember the different lunchboxes that I had growing up...I know I had Strawberry Shortcake though too.
About the bus ride-how exciting for her!! Hunter wants to ride the bus so bad! The buses don't come out this far though. Hmm...maybe I should get a yellow minivan???

Mickle Family said...

Nah-uh! I got that same shirt for Sarah, but in brown! We should just buy two of everything for each other!!!
Deb

Alyssa said...

Well I think we already have their twin day outfit planned. The sparkly jeans with the pink butterflies and their horse shirts... Done!