Friday, September 21, 2007

Fabulous Food Friday

What's for Lunch?
Part III




...BENTO!!!
What is a bento lunch? It's my latest obsession!!! This past year, I have discovered the art of bento lunch making...I have not yet attempted one, but they really intrigue me and as soon as I am over my cold I plan to make a trip to Uwajimaya.

According to Wikipedia...

Bentō (弁当 or べんとう) is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento consists of rice, fish or meat and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables as a side dish. Containers range from disposable mass produced to hand crafted lacquerware. While bento are readily available at convenience stores and bento shops (弁当屋 bentō-ya) throughout Japan, it is still considered an essential skill of a Japanese housewife to be able to prepare an appealing boxed lunch.

Bento can be very elaborate, aesthetically pleasing cuisine arrangements. Often the food is arranged in such a way as to resemble other objects: dolls, flowers, leaves, and so forth.

There are many reasons to like bento (enviro-friendly reusable containers, healthy homemade meals, creative culinary outlet), but when I saw these Hello Kitty bento lunches, I was amazed. Funny thing is I actually own a Hello Kitty rice mold. I bought it when Natalie was little for using as a jello mold. I had NO idea...now where did I put that?




Here are some of the most elaborate Bento lunches I have ever seen. While I can appreciate the art form that is "molded" rice, I'm not sure I will ever go this far! But is sure is neat...




Are you thinking to yourself..."Now that is rediculous...who would spend the time making such elaborate meals for a school child?"

Not me, but in Japan it is a great honor to make such a carefully crafted meal for your child. I think I am more likely to create some of the bentos shown at the top of this post, but these other lunches sure would earn you the "Mother of the Year Award" at our school!

Okay now let's talk about all the fun stuff...Bento accessories: I found all these items on ebay...haven't bought any yet. I'll have to see what I can come up with from my trip to Uwajimaya.

Sauce Containers: Too sinkin' cute!
The monkey container is for peanut butter or any other thick sauce, dip or spread. It comes with a banana handled spoon for spreading...the others are used for soy sauce or salad dressing. Isn't that cherry one so cute!
Food Dividers
These are used to prevent food from touching/leaking on to the rest of the meal. Paper cupcake containers can be used, but part of the idea behind bento lunches is to eliminate disposable waste (see footnote below)**, so I may try our silicon cupcake liners.

Punches and rice molds
Paper punches are used to cut the nori (dried seaweed) which can be used to "decorate" your food. The other photo shows some examples of rice molds.


**Much of the trash we generate comes from the packaging on the food we buy, and lunch foods are no exception. In fact, it has been estimated that on average a school-age child using a disposable lunch generates 67 pounds of waste per school year. That equates to 18,760 pounds of lunch waste for just one average-size elementary school.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here are some resources that may be helpful if you are interested in creating your own bento lunch.

Bento lunches, Lunch in a Box, Bento boxes and accessories, Laptop Lunches, Cooking Cute
___________________________________________________________________


7 comments:

Mickle Family said...

I think it's pretty amazing that you're even considering going to this length with your kid's lunches! I'm lucky if I leave enough time to remember all the food groups in the morning. I do like your ideas of using a cookie cutter for their sandwiches--now if I can just find 'em as the kids consider them to be their toys.
;-) Deb

redheadedmama said...

I am with you debbie! Our lunches right now are a pb and J cut into the shape of the day (right now it is a bat with raisins for eyes) Isaac always wants the same thing...PB and J.

These are great though, and give me a whole other reason to have mom guilt, I don't make cute enough lunches!!! :-) LOL

Lokoyan said...

Wow, I had NO IDEA lunches could be so much fun. To think I always thought they were just for eating...

Erotic themed bentos, now THERE is an idea!

Alyssa said...

No mommy guilt on this one...just some amazing looking food! It is not uncommon for Japanese moms to spend an hour making lunch...5-10 minutes for me - tops!

Chris,
"erotic?" really? Wow, your "issues" with cats (and bears?) are more serious than I thought!!! Or were you thinking the mermaid was erotic? You may have a point there...LOL!

Lokoyan said...

Yep, it was the mermaid.

Mer said...

Yippee for bento! Aren't some peoples creations amazing?

By the way, thanks for having Anne email me that link about HK containers. Turned out to be a totally different thing, and the ones I have are marked with the food safe logo on the bottom, ect. The boxes recalled were some commissioned by the government and handed out for free, and did not have HK anything on them.

I look forward to seeing what bentos you come up with! :0)

Willow said...

Woah, your bentos are just awesome!

I'm just starting my addiction, made my first "bento lunch" today. No frills, I'm still working on learning to pack my lunch so that it won't dance around and mix together..

You've opened whole new possibilities here...

Here's a very beginner bento:
http://willowsbentobox.blogspot.com/

Thanks!