Friday, February 09, 2007

Fabulous Food Friday


Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

2 c sugar
1c shortening
1/2 c milk
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
Flour

Cream sugar & shortening. Add eggs & beat well. Add milk & vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients w/1 c flour. Stir into creamed mixture. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. (about 6-7 cups) Roll dough to 1/4 in thick (or however thick you would like your cookie, but 1/4 in is a good thickness) & cut. Bake at 375 until set or edges BEGIN to turn a light golden. My oven bakes hot and took about 7 minutes.

Decorator Icing

2 boxes (or 2 lbs) powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups Crisco (either regular or butter flavored. Butter will turn it off white)1/2 cup HOT water
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp vanilla (I use 2)
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)

Combine powdered sugar & salt in large mixer bowl. Beat on slow with wire whip attachment until smooth (no more clumps) Add crisco 1/4 cup at a time until mixed. Add hot water, beat until almost fluffy. Add vanilla & almond flavoring. Beat on high 5-10 min until volume has increased & frosting has stiffer/fluffy consistency.

Note: This is the frosting the kids used yesterday to decorate their cookies, However I didn't use this frosting for the cookies pictured above. Instead, I used Royal icing from Wilton. It comes in a container similar to white glue. Then to dress it up, I generously sprinkled food grade glitter on top (it was just like doing a craft!)

To see how I packaged these cookies all up, go to my Paper Capers blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, Alyssa! You need to design and make a MAGAZINE!!! Seriously! Your food displays are always so great! I just want to eat one of those yummy frosted cookies! :-)
You have such a wealth of knowledge that everyone should have access to b/c we all want to be "that" kind of Mom, Wife, Friend. Ya know?
I guess what I am saying is...you are the hostess with the mostess GF! :-)