
We actually just found out who her teacher was last week. So you can imagine all the moms were on the phone trying to figure out which kids from kindergarten would be in their new first grade class. It was fun to talk to all the moms again and catch up with them all, but I still hadn't heard from one person who had the same teacher as Natalie. Her best friend Sarah was out of town when the notice came in the mail, so we were on pins and needles until they came home. As it turns out, they will be in the same class together along with their good friend Madison.
This was such good news...but I was still unsure about their teacher. Being new to the school last year, I don't really know much about the other teachers, so I was just hoping and praying that her teacher would be the nice, loving kind of first grade teacher I remember having. I called around to my other friends who have older kids and no one had anything bad to say, so I felt much better. Then today when we walked into Natalie's new class and met her teacher I couldn't have been happier. She is the nicest lady and will be perfect for Natalie.
Even on the ride to the school Natalie was not looking forward to going into a new class. When her new teacher asked her "Are you excited to be coming back to school?" Natalie said "no." I explained Natalie's anxieties and the teacher really made Natalie feel at home. We also got to find her cubbie and her own desk (table shared with 4 others) with a place for all her school supplies. We turned our school supplies in today, so this morning I quickly altered this clipboard for Natalie to bring today.
We didn't bring her gym shoes today because we are still practicing how to tie shoes. I began showing Natalie how to tie her shoes this afternoon...it's been on my list of things to do this summer (and I waited until the last minute)...and within a half an hour, she figured it out! I was so proud of her because I still remember how hard it was to learn.
Natalie was so excited to see her friends again. We even went into other first grade classrooms to see where her other friends would be sitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment