I got my hair highlighted and layered. I was just in the mood for a change, so it felt really great to have my hair done.
I hurried home to get ready for dinner. I had requested a girl's night out with my friends. Part of me felt weird not having my birthday dinner with my family, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. We had reservations at 7 pm at the Marrakesh Moroccan restaurant off of NW 21st. My friend Debbie picked me up and we missed all the traffic and got there 45 minutes early...so we walked up and down NW 23rd for a while to kill some time. Finally 7 o'clock came around any I was starving. I had eaten an egg for breakfast then had the latte and that's about it.










Here is what the Marrakesh looks like: It's pretty cozy inside with drapery and tapestries adorning the walls and ceiling.We sat down on these leather tuffets which are pretty low to the ground, but so is the table, so it doesn't seem too weird.
After our waiter (love his hat, don't you!) served us our wine, he draped towels across our lap...this is an eat with your hands place which makes it all the more fun. In order to get ready to eat with our
hands,
our waiter pours warm water over our hands out of this cool silver kettle. (Our hands are over a pot which collects the water). The first course is this delicious lentil soup. It's to die for and I could have easily had 2 more bowls of it. It's served with a yummy bread to help scoop it out. The second course is salad Marrakesh made up of cucumbers, eggplant lettuce and a bunch of other things I don't remember...also very good scooped up with the bread. Third course is called B’stillela Royale: eggs, seasoned chicken and nuts wrapped in phyllo pastry and covered in powdered sugar. So, so good. Sounds weird, but don't knock it until you've tried it! Next up, our main course is served. Anne chose chicken shish kabobs and Debbie chose beef kabobs. I ordered the special honey chicken and apricots. All of it was yummy and very fun to eat with your hands. When we were through with our meals, our hands were washed again and then he sprinkled a scented water over our hands. We were then served a yogurty-pudding type dessert with almonds along with hot mint tea (you can see him pouring it). When all of us were done with dessert, the waiter came by again with a special birthday treat for me...I think it was a variation of baklava. Everyone sang happy birthday to me (even the table next door) There was enough to share because by this point in the evening, we were all stuffed!
4 comments:
That's so great Alyssa! Glad it was a great bday celebration and a fun girls night out! Happy Birthday and sorry I missed the festivities!
Your hair looks great! I look forward to seeing my sis to get mine done too! I have been wearing it in pig tails for way too long! It's time for a trim!! Anyway, thanks for sharing your fun photos! That place looks like quite a dining experience. How fun!
What a cool restaurant! I assume (from it's name) that it is Moroccan.
The decor is unbelievable! The food sounds somewhat like Greek food. I will have to see if we have a Moroccan restaurant around here.
I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday. Thanks for sharing the photos. I like your new 'do!
Thanks you two. Yes, Sue it's Moroccan. I love ethnic foods...Indian, Lebanese and Moroccan cuisine are all so tasty...a bit more zesty than the Greek food I have tried, but some of the same yummy ingredients.
And Katie...your hair ALWAYS looks great...even in pig tails! (so jealous)
That was a great night! I felt so grown up being out past my bedtime. Reality hit though when I fell asleep at midnight, then had to get up at 4 am to feed matthew. I thought "this is why I don't go out anymore!"
Thanks for having a birthday so I could have a great time!!!
Next month...girls weekend at the cabin!
Post a Comment