Breakfast Idea
Typically in our house, when we run out of our breakfast staples (bread, eggs, milk and cereal) we have to get creative. Last weekend was one of those times. In my pantry there was just enough oatmeal to make breakfast for four, plus there were remaining misc. items I thought would go well with the oatmeal. So, I set it up like a build-your-own sundae bar and the kids loved putting toppings on their oatmeal. I even served it in dessert bowls and the kids didn't even notice there was no brown sugar! Instead we had peaches, coconut, raisins, pecans and cream. 
Typically in our house, when we run out of our breakfast staples (bread, eggs, milk and cereal) we have to get creative. Last weekend was one of those times. In my pantry there was just enough oatmeal to make breakfast for four, plus there were remaining misc. items I thought would go well with the oatmeal. So, I set it up like a build-your-own sundae bar and the kids loved putting toppings on their oatmeal. I even served it in dessert bowls and the kids didn't even notice there was no brown sugar! Instead we had peaches, coconut, raisins, pecans and cream. 
Since Thankgiving is next Thursday I thought it would be fitting for me to include a recipe you could serve after the big meal. Here is a nice dessert that is easy to make:
Cranberry Coffee Cake
I always get lots of compliments on this one. It's a nice alternative to pumkin pie.
1/2 Cup margarine1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 pint sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp almond extract
1 can whole-cranberry sauce
1/2 cup almond slivers
Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, mix on medium speed. Reduce speed and add dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream. Add almond extract. Grease a 9x13 pan. Put half of the batter in the pan and spread evenly. Swirl 1/2 the can of cranberry sauce over the batter in the pan. Add the rest of the batter to the pan. Top with remaining cranberry sauce. Sprinkle nuts on top. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. Frost while warm using the following icing:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp warm water
1/4 tsp almond extract
Mix together and drizzle over cake.
2 comments:
Thanks for the recipe! It looks yummy! We are making it for our Thanksgiving brunch Thursday morning. Just perfect!
Question about the crans though...
not cranberry jelly and not just whole cranberries, right? Just the cranberry sauce? I had troubles at Walmart finding sauce, they only had jelly. But, I will try another store.
It comes in a can like the sauce, but it has whole cranberries in it. I've gotten it at Albertson's before, it shouldn't be too hard to track down this time of year!!
Yea for tube/can shaped fruit!
Post a Comment